(259) Q & A: Unicornuate uterus

Started by HB KIM, Jan 05, 2009, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HB KIM

Q:  I have a friend who has recently had a D & C to remove multiple uterine polyps. She has a history abnormal (excess) uterine bleeding and two years ago had a polyp removed as well, with more returning. She has a history of very severe PMS (mood swings and anger) - liver Qi stagnation, and has taken Chai Hu Shu Gan San with positive results in the past. She was trying to get pregnant when her polyps returned, with xs bleeding (due to polyps), and now with the recent discovery of unicornuate uterus (she goes for testing to see if she has one kidney this week), she is putting that on hold.
I would love any insight, anyone treated this before?
(I feel that there needs to be a delicate balance between tonifying Qi and building blood but also moving  Qi and blood and not growing more polyps).

A:  I'd like to recommend a formula based on your treatment principle as described above.

Treatment principle: delicately  tonify Qi & build Blood, also move  Qi & Blood, without encouraging the growth of polyps

Xiang Fu  12g
Dang Gui  12g
Bai Shao  12g
Bai Zhu  6g
Bai He Shou Wu  6g
Chuan Xiong  6g
Chen Pi  6g
Zhi Gan Cao  6g

The name of this formula is Xiang Fu Ba Wu Tang (Eight Substance Decoction with Cyperi).